Thursday, September 1, 2011

Humility in Jumping Rope

Jump rope was never my forte. EVER. Ya know when groups of kids would gather on the playground and jump for the entire recess... well that didn't include me. If I did put a brave face on and join the group, I was the one flipping the rope for everyone else... certainly not jumping.

So today, when 60+ students from student ministries had to each get through the jump line without messing up, I was petrified. When I finally got up enough courage to attempt throwing my body into the midst of a flailing rope, I quickly felt the burlap vine slapping against the back of my legs followed immediately by the front of my shins (yes- I somehow got hit twice!). I knew I was done-for before the real challenge even started (this was only practice time haha).

When the challenge began of getting everyone through without stopping, it was very evident that I would be one of the few constant strugglers. After about two minutes, I was graciously encouraged to take a spot near the front. No one wanted me at the end (for good reason) because I would likely be the one to mess up and ruin it for everyone! I honestly can't remember how many times I tripped over the rope or jumped at the wrong time, but I eventually figured it out (and, mind you, I wasn't the only one who messed up haha it just wasn't a huge surprise when I did). With physical nudges from people behind me and constant encouragement about when to jump or "you'll get it next time," I made it through more than once :)

It seemed to take an incredibly long time to get 60+ people through with no mistakes, but it felt so good when we finally reached our goal! Not gonna lie, I felt like the exercise was border-line juvenile and fairly "camp-ish," but I still learned from it and enjoyed the process overall. I found myself fighting the instincts to over-analyze the task at hand or to become discouraged and frustrated when I made a mistake, but the support of friends around me kept me going. Top off a mess-up with a bit of laughter, some good perspective (it's just a silly game), and a few high-fives... it was actually a fun experience.

Afterwards, of course, the group gathered for discussion and reflection. And what do ya know... I just happened to be one of the prime examples used in many of the life applications haha! As the "girl in the red sweater" who finally overcame her fear and figured out how to jump rope, I couldn't hide behind a shy facade for long. (Next time you find yourself in a position where you will be clearly recognized if you mess up, don't wear a bright color! lol). Honestly, though, I didn't feel too bad. I mean, someone has to mess up in order for a visual lesson to be learned, right? It just happened to be me this time :)

Throughout this experience, the need for positive community surged through my mind again. I know how prone to discouragement I can be when I fixate on my weaknesses, but I also know how beautiful it is to allow others to come alongside and provide strength. By covering another's weaknesses and capitalizing on their strengths, we can be part of a larger picture and take place in something greater than ourselves.

If life is like the jump rope game, we certainly need people going before us to show us the way, standing behind us to catch us when we fall, providing constant encouragement, and giving appropriate input when we make mistakes. It's hard to jump into a new experience (or even into a situation you've been through before but know is challenging), but it's ten times harder doing it alone. I'm learning to let go of my pride and allow others to use their strengths to fill in the gaps of my weakness. It's not worth jumping rope, or living life, alone.

1 comment:

  1. Kristina - I loved this! It was so neat to hear your perspective and it's so true how we need people who show us the way and people behind us to catch us and encourage. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete