Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Running

"What are you running from?"
Such a common question to be faced with when someone catches you (or you catch yourself) running from fears, challenges, frustrations.... I do think this is an important question to ask and to be asked, but perhaps there is an even greater question that should be asked as well...

Let's start with the first one, though :) "What are you running from?" Internal conflict? Suppressed fear of failure? Insecurity? Financial stresses? Family tension? Negative circumstances? Encouragement? Vulnerability? Advice? The list goes on.... everyone has run from something at some point in their life... I've looked back on how I've lived and have undoubtedly run from a wide array of pressures, both positive and negative. Yes, I've run from fear of imperfection, but I've also run from support of friends. I've run from experiencing sorrow, and I've run from encouragement. It's definitely important to recognize these things and deal with them appropriately, but it shouldn't stop there.

What is perhaps even more important is "what are you running to?"

When you run, you often have a destination... even if it's not pre-determined, it's arguably still in existence. A finish line exists even if you don't see it until you get there. For some, that goal is destructive.... for others it is repairing. In my own life I've allowed myself to run "without a destination," but the place in which I arrive almost always has negative repercussions. In running from pain, I've landed in bitterness. In running from advice, I've ended up in brokenness. I really don't think it's possible to run without a destination, even if you intend to run forever. You eventually stop, and that becomes the destination.

Maybe it's not necessarily bad to run from something as long as the destination is positive. (And by positive, I mean the destination will help you address what you were running from in the first place). For example, when you run from pain, why not run to peace that will penetrate the sorrow and provide healing? Or when you run from tension, why not run to wisdom that will enable you to deal with the tension appropriately? Maybe running isn't bad as long as you're heading in the right place...

No comments:

Post a Comment