Monday, October 17, 2011

Two-Word Challenge

Recently I've felt that almost every conversation I've had with friends, family, professors, mentors, even the checkout lady at the grocery store has been thickly coated with frustration, exhaustion, weariness, and negativity. I am getting more and more annoyed with how frequently I complain (and this probably sounds like I'm complaining about complaining haha so sorry!). Why is it so easy to get hung up on the negatives?! Seriously, I'm embarrassed to admit how much I complain! The verbal complaints, however, are merely a reflection of the negative focus inside me.

And that needs to change.

I remember a challenge once posed to me by a high school teacher.... it revolved around the idea of saying two little words as a way to refocus thoughts and change perspective....

These two words? "Thank you!"

My class and I were encouraged to reconsider the value of these words in regards not only to the one receiving the thanks, but in how they affect the one giving thanks. It's easy to emphasize the importance of thanking someone who deserves to be thanked, to giving thanks when things are pleasant, and to be thankful for the blessings that have been abundantly poured out upon you, but it's a little bit more difficult to say "thank you" when things don't seem to be going your way. What would happen if you were to be thankful in all situations? How would saying these words affect personal perspective?


I vividly remember the first day I took this challenge of first saying "thank you" as a response to any situation... I woke up determined to be thankful for everything. Easy enough! I even stopped for coffee on the way to school so I would be sure to have a great day :)

Well, right as I was pulling my car away (coffee cup balanced precariously in my hands as I struggled to steer safely), a good amount of hot, caffeinated liquid sloshed out of my handy dandy travel mug all over my lap! My instincts prompted me toward frustration- it's hot!!! And there's no time to go home and change! This is gonna be a GREAT day now!  But a little flag went of in my head reminding me of my "thankful" vow earlier that morning. Seriously? This is dumb. I have no reason to be thankful for my coffee spilling, I thought to myself.... Sure you do- now you'll smell like coffee all day! That's one of your favorite smells, right? It's perfect, combatted the stubbornness within me, not wanting to fail so early on. A little smirk made its way to my face, and the two words reshaped my thoughts... I went throughout the rest of my day full of genuine optimism, ready to challenge each situation with a "thank you." 

So, perhaps it's time to pick up this challenge again... It provides a cool way of being optimistic without sacrificing realism. Every time I say those two simple words, I find my perspective immediately changes. The situation doesn't change necessarily, but attitude does. Instead of allowing my thoughts to fixate on things that are bothering me, fears that are distracting me, or daunting tasks ahead of me, I can shift my thoughts toward things for which I can be thankful. They is always something!!!! I have a feeling that as soon as I start looking for them, I'll see more and more... 

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise..." Philippians 4:8, NLT


1 comment:

  1. Such an amazing message preached on this very thing..gratitude at Crossway.ca by David Smith just last week..very encouraging. Jacqueline Bay

    ReplyDelete