Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bittersweet

So the content of this one is probably fairly predictable... end of summer... back to school in less than a week... saying goodbye... preparing to meet a new slew of people... as cliche as it is, I can't think of another way to describe it other than bittersweet.

Today I made my rounds saying bye to just about everyone I've babysat for this summer... so many smiles and hugs (high-fives from eight-year-old boys) were enough to last a lifetime. Then I stopped by work only to be blessed tenfold by the encouragement I received there as well! Finally, I've been nannying for one of the most precious families for the past several hours and just got the sweet kiddos tucked in bed with one last "you come again, okay?" from my 3-year-old shadow.

One of the hardest parts about leaving is knowing things will never be the same when I come back...  I'm trying to find comfort in the memories I have from the summer, but that doesn't always seem to be enough. Yes, change is inevitable, but it sure isn't easy!

As I get ready to head back to BC, I'm filled with excitement over seeing friends, experiencing new classes, facing different challenges, and learning more about myself, others, and the world around me.... It's just this weird, annoying paradox of being pulled in two directions. Bittersweet.

Really, now, what's the point of something being bittersweet?? Shouldn't it all be sweet?? Of course, I want to answer, yes. But...

If there was no bitterness, how would you know sweetness? I guess if falls under the category of "contrast."White always seems whiter when it's against something pitch black. Sunshine always seems more beautiful after a lengthy torrential downpour. So, the sweet memories of summer will seem even sweeter amidst the fear and stress of leaving them behind. I will choose to savor them, even though they're bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment