Saturday, August 27, 2011

Shattered

I've been wanting to write a post about the recent break in I experienced, but I've been having a difficult time thinking back to when it happened. I still vividly remember the initial shock and disbelief that washed over me as I first saw shattered glass by my car, then glass covering the inside passenger seat and floor, and finally a vacancy on the seat that catapolted a sick feeling into my stomach instantly. I don't need this now, I thought to myself angrily. I have so much to do before I leave for school in a few days and I seriously don't have time or energy to deal with this! There I go again... thinking the world revolves around me... I naïvely never thought this sort of thing would never happen to me... but who am I to think that I'm somehow immune to part of the pain in the world...
Throughout this week, however, I've seen God turn the situation into a blessing for His glory. Things have come together in ways only he can orchestrate... I feel so spoiled right now. Generous gifts, endless words of encouragement, offers of both financial and emotional support that I never expected. Thank you everyone who's been a part of turning this into good.

I have learned a great deal from this experience- first of which, of course, don't leave anything valuable in your car- especially in sight (or in a bookbag) haha. Secondly, I've been forced to re-evaluate my view of  both material and sentimental possessions. I know that stuff is just stuff, but it was really painful to lose information, documents, pictures, songs, memories... that meants more to me than anyone else. It's hard knowing that I won't get any of that back, but it's even harder knowing the papers are likely in a dumpster and the rest has been wiped clean- someone else regards it as junk while I hold it with high value. As much as it hurts to lose it, though, it's not the end of the world! I still have the memories, some pictures (thank goodness for memory cards), stacks of printed papers of documents that were there... and life goes on.

More than that, I can have joy and be thankful in spite of the experience. As I was pulling out of the parking spot surrounded by broken glass, God prompted me to thank him. It's funny how saying those two little words can change your perspective entirely. No, I haven't been a perfectly happy camper since then, but I do have peace. And God is faithfully showing me there are far greater things in life than laptops, cars, and day planners (although, I can't explain how lost I initially felt without my day planner haha sad, but true). Every time I find another piece of broken glass in my car (I've been told it will likely keep finding glass for at least a year!), I will be thankful for what I've learned and how God has used the situation for good. They shattered the window, but not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment